Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default Pool Cover?

writes:

"I'm confused, if the pool is 16 ft wide...why would the span be 18
ft?"

The joists would have to be larger than the pool itself, no? I was
thinking that they would need to extend about a foot or so on either
side of the pool. How else could it be done?

Personally, I'd go with a custom electric cover.
That way the pool can be made safe with the flick of
a switch any time of year.

Probably big bucks.

If I was going to try to span the pool with lumber
and plywood, I'd be thinking of using styrofoam supports
floating in the pool. That way the thing would not have
to weigh a ton. The bigger the styrofoam blocks, the
less lumber needed.

There was a similar thread on this group a few months back and
someone was looking at a floating dock.