Posted to alt.home.repair
CDET 14 CDET 14 is offline

Default how do dryer controls work?

On Mar 1, 10:26*pm, mm wrote:
I have a very old clothes dryer, a Kenmore that I'm pretty sure is
made by Whirlpool, that has never given me any trouble, and maybe it's
time to ask 2 questions about it.

1) The machine has a device to turn the dryer off when the clothes are
the desired dryness. *You point the dryness knob to the chosen dryness
and turn on the dryer. *But then the knob rotates and the pointer
moves. *How does the dryer know where I set it? *I can move it
clockwise and counter clockwise at any time. *Sometimes I've moved it
CW to make it stop soon, but if that new position had been the
original position, it should have stopped already, and yet it
continues to run after I move the knob far clockwise. *How does this
all work?

2) For the last 40 years, at the laundromat and with my own machine, I
always dry clothes on the lowest temperature that is warmer than fresh
air. *I also usually take the clothes out when they aren't quite dry,
so they also aren't really hot yet.

But the air with this machine, even on gentle, must be *a lot hotter
than gentle. *Even after I've opened the machine and taken out the
clothes for a few seconds, the clothes seem hotter than gentle. *I'm
afraid to try the next temp up, because I think that hot air is bad
for everything but 100% cotton, and I always have elastic, polyester,
nylon, or other fabrics in the load. *I don't think I'd be successful
trying to measure the air temp, but would you all describe the heat on
"gentle" as still pretty hot?

Could it be that the air is getting so hot because the exhaust vent is
blocked?
Not just the accordian hose behind the dryer, but the pipe in the
wall.
This blockage causes the unexpelled heat to build up.

Alisa LeSueur
Certified Dryer Exhaust Technincian
http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com