Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default "Heat Sink Putty" ?

(GregS) wrote in
:

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Any such thing?

I'll have a little bridge rectifier and voltage regulator serving
a bicycle hub alternator (6v 4w) and want to use the bike frame
as the heat sink.

My thought was that, if there's such a thing as heat-conductive
putty, I'd just embed the two components in some of it and stick
it to a frame tube.

Thermal epoxy is better than regular epoxy but the conductivity
is very poor compared to copper, and copper is poor compared to
diamond. Might try the suggestion of adding metal filings to regular
epoxy putty. Thermal epoxy is not really putty.

greg

whatcha need is diamond-filled epoxy..... 8-)

you can buy very finely powdered copper at craft stores.
by the time you get enough copper or other filler mixed in the epoxy,it IS
the consistency of putty..... ;-)

better to machine an aluminum mount to mate closely with the bike tubing
and coat it with thermal paste,mount the circuit to the Al. plate. with
thermal paste.

Or use a switcher-type regulator for lower heat dissipation.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik