Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Fridge too cold

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:44:25 -0800, "pipedown"
wrote:

My Sears Refrigerator (Regular freezer on top kind) is freezing up in the
fridge compartment. I have already verified that all vents are clear and I
can hear the fans run free and twice partially defrosted it and still it
freezes up (~20F).

Used to have the same problem. Either it freezes up the main
compartment or it doesn't get cold enough. My fridge is 30 years old.
Vents were clear, etc. I finally popped out the freezer compartment
panels to look inside. The panels are thin sheet metal and they
flex. There were only two studs holding the floor panel in place.
Press the panel far enough to clear the stud. The rest of the panels
can be disassembled by sliding them out. The rear verticle panel is
held by three screws and to remove it the floor panel needs to be
removed first.

The freezer coils are against the back wall. The vent openings and
the transfer fan are also there. In my fridge the bottom half of the
freezer coils were encased in solid ice. It took something like six
hours to melt the ice. That's one good explanation why previous
overnight defrosts worked only for a few months before acting up
again. Works like a charm now.