Posted to alt.home.repair
Merlin[_2_] Merlin[_2_] is offline

Default Costs of roof repairs

Thank you all for your replies.

The roof is in good shape in all but the areas I've mentioned. In
those areas, the damage was done by water coming in from the edge. The
fascia was loose in these areas and let water in under the shingles.

The shingles are not the problem as the water attacked the wood under
them, not the shingles.

The roofing guy who got up on the roof did a very thorough inspection
and said that the damage in two of the three areas was minimal but
would probably need an entire panel replaced on each. The third area
was the worst and had obviously been leaking for years. The leak went
from the top to the inside of a screened in porch area. In that area,
he said the decking and some damaged supports would have to be
replaced.

The guy was very professional, very thorough and took his time. He was
also inspecting it with the possibility of replacing the entire roof.

As to the appearance, I couldn't care less. I'm already old and live
on a fixed income and I'll die in this house. If the neighbors don't
like the way it looks when I'm done, they can pay for better repairs.
Since I'm paying for it, I'll do what I can with what I have.

My home loan is as high as it will ever be. I'm not adding anything to
it. I can't afford to. I'll check with the bank to see what the
replacement of the entire roof would cost me on a roll-in, but I can't
afford much of a difference.

I'll have 5 different roofers come out and estimate the job with no
removal of debris. I can do that. I'm old and slow, but I can pick up
the trash and stack it. Then I can put out a couple of sacks a week
until it's gone.

My property is fenced with a 8 foot privacy fence and is gated with
the same. No one can see anything below the roof.