Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

On Mar 2, 12:07*am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

...rather than raise prices.

But they did raise prices - they raised the unit prices - which is the
only way to compare prices between otherwise similiar products.

************************

That should have been followed with "on the standard sized package"

If a half gallon container was good for 90 years or so, there is no logical
reason that changing the size is better. *Certain commodities in the store
have been sold by the pint, quart, pound, dozen, for ages and fluffing up
products *in the same sized can at lower count is a marketing ploy

There are countless people that make bad assumptions. Such as Home Depot has
the best prices on home repair products. *Or that they have a large
selection. *Of that Best Buy is a great place to buy an appliance. *At one
time, there was some truth to that. *I'd drive 30 miles to a big box store
or discounter and save $100 over the local guy. *The local guy got smart and
figured out how to sell at the same price and offer better service.

Today, my wife want to go to Lumber Liquidators to look at flooring. Her
perception was that they would have good flooring at cheap prices. *They
don't. * Instead, I went to a local store less than a half mile from my
house and got a deal that no big box store or internet sell could match. *.

That should have been followed with "on the standard sized
package"

What? You really gotta explain that one. I'm not even going to hazard
a guess as to what you are trying to say.

If a half gallon container was good for 90 years or so, there is
no logical reason that changing the size is better.

Where in the previous 138 messages in this thread has anybody said it
was "better"?

(changing sizes) "is a marketing ploy"

I think we've all agreed to that...numerous times.

Home Depot, Best Buy, local retailers and Lumber Liquidators

Nice stories. Thanks for sharing. What have they got to do with
companies trying to hide price increases by making the package
smaller? My God...they haven't shortened the 8 foot 2 x 4, have they?