Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default How can we stop our cats from urinating on the basement floor?

In article , Steve says...

Banty wrote on 01 Mar 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

In article , Steve
says...

I haven't had any luck with Nature's Miracle. I honestly think it
sells more on the hype than on its performance.

For cat urine on carpet, etc., there's no real option but to get rid
of the carpet, upholstery, etc. This from my experience having cats
all my life and consultation with a profesisonal restorer.

But if in this case most of the problem is on the concrete unfinished
basement floor, there is an option which works which is a
citrus-based cleaner.

I'll bow to your expertise with cats; we have dogs.

I gave both. Cat urine is quite a different thing from dog urine, believe me.

It's vital that the stuff be put on heavily. You have to completely
saturate the carpet, all the way through the pad to the subfloor. The
subfloor has to be wet, too. Then, it all has to *stay* wet long enough
for the enzymes to work. I usually pour it on full strength, then
massage it in. If it's hot and dry, I put on more later, or just add
water to keep it moist for a day or two.

I *did*. For a *week*. And this is one of the things that started getting me
suspicious about Nature's Miracle - someone says it didn't work?? Hey they
needed to have used MORE. That didn't work, EVEN MORE. REALLY SOAK IT. BUY
MORE.

"BUY" being the important factor ;-)

I think that it's so widely expected to work, plus the natural tendency of pet
owners to get inured of the smells of their pets, that makes people think it
works.

Our ultimate solution is to replace the carpet with hard floors.

See!!! It didn't work with you, either! Else what's with this "ultimate
solution". Heh.

Banty