Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default 120volt thermostat

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
On Feb 29, 5:54 am, topswage wrote:
My home is heated with a gas fired hot water boiler. The system is
presently controlled with a 1950's style bimetal thermostat. I'd love to
replace the thermostat with an electronic set-back unit, but have
discovered that the thermostat is directly controlling the hot water
circulating pump--there's 120volt current running through the
thermostat, enough to fry most electronic ones. I see though that there
are electronic thermostats designed to control electric baseboard
heaters, and will control 120 volt circuits--can I use such a thermostat
to control my circulating pump?

Any of you guys want to tell me why this wouldn't work, as a simple
solution?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Programmable-Lin...QQcmdZViewItem

JK

That particular model won't work because it requires a 240 volt power supply
to operate. They have other models that require a 120 volt power supply to
work as well, and they too won't work in his application. He has two wires ,
a 120 volt hot leg, and a return, no neutral. Honeywell/Aube does make 120
volt two wire models that possibly will work for his application.