Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
If you were the CEO at Breyers, how would YOU have instituted the price
change so it was not a "scam"???

You run the company, and people will do exactly what you say, no
questions asked. Describe your plan.

I'd just raise the price, the same as they have been doing for many years.
Breyers used to be 79¢ a h alf gallon and they worked it up to about $5
and still sold ice cream. IMO, going to a smaller package instead is a
method of deception.

While we're at it, notice they no longer have the Pledge of Purity that
graced the cartons for many years. They've added other cheaper
ingredients, even to vanilla that used to be simply: cream, sugar,
vanilla. No more. Profit over quality.

According to the grocery purchasing agents I deal with, the sale of Breyers
1/2 gallons slowed to a crawl when it was priced over $4.00. Stores and the
manufacturer know that raising the price cut too much into their volume.
There's a definite limit to how much prices can be raised. Customers have
arbitrarily pegged, yet very firm ideas of what they're willing to pay for
non-necessities.

But certainly unless it was a huge increase the sales slowdown is just a
momentary thing.

If it wasn't the case soda sales should have ceased when they went from
$0.02 to $0.03 a bottle and the same for everything you can thing of.

The problem today is that there are few real managers who truly
understand what they are doing. Most just live by computer printouts
that describe the moment without seeing the big picture.