Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

According to the grocery purchasing agents I deal with, the sale of
Breyers 1/2 gallons slowed to a crawl when it was priced over $4.00.
Stores and the manufacturer know that raising the price cut too much into
their volume. There's a definite limit to how much prices can be raised.
Customers have arbitrarily pegged, yet very firm ideas of what they're
willing to pay for non-necessities.

The price is now $5.49 locally. At 64 ounces it would be $6.29. They
passed the $4 mark and are still selling. The only time I'll buy it now
is when on sale every few weeks. I get a few and keep them in the freezer.
Sale price is up to $2.74 last week. Rather than run sales on rotation,
just sell at a fair price every day. Since they cut the package size,
I've not bought any at full price. Screw them.

Most sales are initiated by the stores, not the manufacturers. At the
moment, most stores are paying between $3.28 and $3.96 per container for the
product.