Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default How can we stop our cats from urinating on the basement floor?

Norminn wrote:

Grandpa Chuck wrote:

There is probably a better NG to post this in, but I don't know where
it is.

We have two cats. They use their large litter boxes in basement just
as they are supposed to. However, one or both of them also urinates on
the floor up against the wall and the lowest step going down to the
basement. We have never been able to catch them doing it - just the
wet spot with the strong urine odor.

One of our cats is a neutered male and the other a spayed female. We
just don't know what to scrub it with what to use to keep them from
doing it. The spot is only about five feet from the nearest large cat
litter box. We use the clumping litter and completely change it when
it takes on a urine odor.

Do any of you cat lovers have a suggestion that has worked for you?

I would not wait to change the litter until it has an odor - that is
probably way late as far as
the kitties are concerned. I would also try putting their litter box,
or another one, on the spot
where they are urinating or just remove them from the area completely.
I have a hunch they
think their box is stinky, so that is the first priority. Our cat
always buried his doings, so it
is obvious they don't like their dirt to linger. We used clumping
litter and always bagged the
clumps every day and took to the trash.

Hi,
Our 3 cats share one litter box. I clean it at least twice a day,
morning, evening and always keep it filled at proper level. If I
neglect, older guy, the orange tabby protests by urinating right in
front of the box. Floor is water tight so it is easy to clean without
leaving odor. The rule is if I do my chore, cats are happy, we are
happy. They eat home made food. No store bought cat foods.