Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I've said it before and I'll repeat it here in case it was missed:

If you shop by unit pricing, it doesn't matter if the package is 28 oz
or 32 oz. You're paying for what you're getting - no one cheated, no
one lied. They simply raised the price by charging you the same amount
for less product - but they clearly informed you of the price increase
by posting the unit price on the shelf right next to the product.

********************
It is your attitude that allows the marketers to get away with sleaze. For
decades, ice cream came in half gallons, sugar in five pound bags, coffee in
one pound containers. Why, suddenly, do theyhave to be made smaller? Only
to give the perception to the consumer that they are getting the same
product at the same price.

If you think this is OK, it will not be long before new cars are delivered
with three tires, flags with 47 stars, and coming next month, two leafed
clovers. At least crayons still have the 7 primary colors.

It is possible to shop by unit pricing. But shopping for staples should
not have to involve so much thought. I do not like shopping, so I don't
want to spend a bunch of time in there, reading and comparing. I just
want to grab my gallon of paint and my gallon of milk and go home. I can
grab familiar brands off the shelf "on the fly" and be done and out.

"Those guys" ought to leave the package sizes alone. If I was the CEO of
Breyer's, when others shrank their boxes, I'd keep selling ice cream by
the honest half gallon, and I'd make it the central theme of my
advertising campaign, ridiculing the diminutive packaging of the
competition, and boasting about "tradition" and "good old American
values."

"Which would you rather have at the end of a long day: 42 cents, or
another bowl of ice cream? Breyers. We don't cheat you."