Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:31:16 GMT, franz fripplfrappl
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:49:39 -0800, greg2468 wrote:

I recently went to our favorite big box store. While wandering around
the paint department, I noticed that most brands sold there are no
longer full gallons. They were one pint less than a gallon. Yet,
spread rate magically remains the same! Of course the price remains the
same! I live in the southeast United State and am curious to know if
this has happened in other areas. (Quarts are now 28 ounces).

Take a walk down the aisles in a grocery store sometime. A pound of
coffee is about 9 ounces. 5# of sugar is 4#. Prices are more or less
the same.

I've seen a lot of 4 pound bags of sugar. In what way can you call
these 5 pound bags?

I think the theory going around here is that the size change is sneaky
unless the customer is somehow notified. The clearly printed numbers on the
package aren't enough. Two better methods would be:

- Change the package. Sell sugar in a pyramid-shaped container with a spigot
on the side.
- Send a representative to the customer's house to explain the size change.

:-)