Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Safety of Nuke Power

on 2/28/2008 11:18 PM Jim Yanik said the following:
" wrote in news:53ec47bc-af2f-4449-bdcd-
:

heres a question for nuke supporters, do the plants carry insurance
and are willing to pay if a accident similiar to chernobyl does occur?

since we do not use graphite-moderated reactors for power generation in the
US,a "Chernobyl-type accident" cannot occur.

Note that the Three Mile Island accident was a good example of US nuke
safety.Very little real effect on the environment,the safety systems
worked as designed.France and Japan both generate a significant amount of
their nations electric power very safely.(using pressurized-water reactors)

one that makes permanetely uninhabitible a big chunk of our country,
and the possiblity of loss of life and sickness that would go with
such a accident?

pay everyone to move, for all lost property? expenses and health
troubles?

Have you researched "pebble bed reactors" yet?
They self-moderate,inherently safe.

Doesn't matter. As long as the words 'nuclear', or 'reactor' is
associated with the plant, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe we
should just call them Fission Energy Generators. The Anties won't know
what that means. They'll probably think it is energy generated from
fishes. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY