Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

On Feb 28, 6:47*pm, George wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"George" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
news On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:49:39 -0800, greg2468 wrote:

I recently went to our favorite big box store. *While wandering around
the paint department, I noticed that most brands sold there are no
longer full gallons. *They were one pint less than a gallon. *Yet,
spread rate magically remains the same! *Of course the price remains
the
same! *I live in the southeast United State and am curious to know if
this has happened in other areas. *(Quarts are now 28 ounces).
Take a walk down the aisles in a grocery store sometime. *A pound of
coffee is about 9 ounces. *5# of sugar is 4#. *Prices are more or less
the same.

It's a way to trick consumers into thinking the economy is hunky-dory
and
that inflation is in check. *We're so used to buying containers that we
forget to read what's actually in them. *By downsizing containers and
quantities, we are actually paying a higher percentage for goods than we
were 5 or 10 years ago.

Another bull**** answer from someone who thinks products reach the stores
by growing wings and flying there for free.
I doubt the poster thinks that at all and they gave an excellent analogy.
If he is painting a room and his cost goes up does he doesn't paint 80% of
the surfaces and try to spin it somehow that it is really a great job. He
would charge more to do the expected job.

I expect the same with products I buy. If the cost to produce goes up then
charge more. Don't shrink the size and print weasel words on the package
such as "new package but contents will perform as the old package etc...."

I for one am tired of big box and megacorps putting so much effort into
spin.

Then we're back to the heart of the matter: If you ran a paint company, how
would you inform customers that the cans no longer contained a gallon?

Due to higher manufacturing costs we will raise the price of our paint
by 4% on March 1. Thank you for your continued business.- Hide quoted text -

And where would you post that info?