Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

On Feb 28, 7:31*am, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:49:39 -0800, greg2468 wrote:
I recently went to our favorite big box store. *While wandering around
the paint department, I noticed that most brands sold there are no
longer full gallons. *They were one pint less than a gallon. *Yet,
spread rate magically remains the same! *Of course the price remains the
same! *I live in the southeast United State and am curious to know if
this has happened in other areas. *(Quarts are now 28 ounces).

Take a walk down the aisles in a grocery store sometime. *A pound of
coffee is about 9 ounces. *5# of sugar is 4#. *Prices are more or less
the same.

It's a way to trick consumers into thinking the economy is hunky-dory and
that inflation is in check. *We're so used to buying containers that we
forget to read what's actually in them. *By downsizing containers and
quantities, we are actually paying a higher percentage for goods than we
were 5 or 10 years ago.

Next time I paint a wall, I'm going to paint only 80% of it and charge
the full amount. *Same effect. *I'll just have to convince customer that
the 20% unpainted looks great and is part of the decor.

A pound of coffee is about 9 ounces. 5# of sugar is 4#.

I'm sure you meant to say "Some containers of coffee are 9 ounces" and
"Some bags of sugar are 4#"

When I walk into a coffee shop and ask for a pound of coffee, I get 16
oz. When I go to the public market and ask for a pound of sugar, I get
16 oz.

Are some stores selling 9 oz of coffee for the same price as they used
charge for a pound? Sure - but they don't call it a pound. What's the
big deal? Prices have gone up. Anybody that's "fooled" by the
marketing ploy of downsizing the containers and keeping the price the
same is just that - a fool. If you need a pound of something, buy a
pound of it.