Posted to alt.home.repair
franz fripplfrappl franz fripplfrappl is offline

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:48:04 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:42:53 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message
news On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:49:39 -0800, greg2468 wrote:

I recently went to our favorite big box store. While wandering
around the paint department, I noticed that most brands sold there
are no longer full gallons. They were one pint less than a gallon.
Yet, spread rate magically remains the same! Of course the price
remains the same! I live in the southeast United State and am
curious to know if this has happened in other areas. (Quarts are
now 28 ounces).

Take a walk down the aisles in a grocery store sometime. A pound of
coffee is about 9 ounces. 5# of sugar is 4#. Prices are more or
less the same.

It's a way to trick consumers into thinking the economy is hunky-dory
and that inflation is in check. We're so used to buying containers
that we forget to read what's actually in them. By downsizing
containers and quantities, we are actually paying a higher percentage
for goods than we were 5 or 10 years ago.

Another bull**** answer from someone who thinks products reach the
stores by growing wings and flying there for free.

It's more than transportation costs. If a supplier were to raise
prices 20%, the consumer may not buy the product but go to a
competitor. Keep the packing the same in looks but smaller in size and
keep prices close to what they are, the consumer will grab the package
without thinking of increased cost. The vendor wins. The consumer
thinks he/she is getting the same goods at the same price.

Now that fuel costs are rising, we'll see more price increases, but the
smaller packages have little to do with it..

Now that they're rising? I deal with trucking groceries all day long.
Freight costs began rising 4 years ago. I'm surprised that price
increases have lagged so far behind. It had to happen eventually.

It's a marketing and a way to increase profits.

The OP describes it as an attempt to fool people. That's bull****. What
kind of work do you do? Do you expect to get salary increases from time
to time?

This reminds me of a long debate in a cooking newsgroup, in which
whiners were complaining that Breyers had shrunk their 64 oz ice cream
package. This was portrayed as evil. Some of the idiots seemed to expect
Breyer's to send a post card to every household in America, informing
them of the change.

advertising and packaging