Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Real estate agent ethics

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:36:02 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

She wrote this letter only to you? If so, forget about it,

Yes, to me, although she cc'd my g.f. and promised to send a copy to

I guess I should have asked "She sent this letter only to you?"
That's what I meant. So even if she only commented on you, or only
addressed you, in the letter, that she sent it to your g.f. puts it in
my second category.

If the g.f. doesn't believe any of the bad stuff, or thinks it isn't
bad, which seems to be through or she wouldn't have showed it to the
other man, that means I guess thta you haven't sufffered much harm
(unless contrary to your gf's expectations, the man thought less of
you after reading the letter.

But regardless of what she and he actually thought after reading the
letter, it was iiuc clearly the agent's intention that the gf should
think less of you. And that's where the problem lies.

the gentleman who referred me to her. (a promise that did not
materialize, but the gentleman was horrified when my g.f. showed the
letter to him later)

If she sent a copy to someone else, and harmed you in some way, please
give more details.

Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words addressed only to
you can't hurt you. What is it that happened that has you so
outrages?

That is a very thoughtful question, and one I have deliberated on a bit
already. More will no doubt be revealed. But, I will tell you that the
letter was outrageous, (so why would I not be outraged?)

That doesn't help me understand. What is it that makes the letter
outrageeous?

and 100%
unprovoked. If I had an employee who spoke to one of my customers like
that, I would fire the employee on the spot. Our society has grown rude,
and we have grown accepting of rudeness. I guess I'd like to rail
against that, effectively or not.

Well, regarding that story about telling off the two real estate
agents, I wasn't inclined to tell their boss.

But another story happened at the same time. The mortage company the
agents put me in touch with (probably for a kickback of some sort?)
and who I conveniently met with in their office, was terrible. He
started off by saying, "Look we're going to own this house for the
next 30 years, so this is what I want you to do." A) The mortgage
company doesn't own the house. It only has owns the mortgage. B)Not
so much for me (explanation omitted to save space) but for a lot of
people, especially those whose parents could never afford to buy their
own house, buying one's first house is one of the highlights of their
lives. He shouldn't be trying to take the thrill out of it.

And towards the end of the process, after giveing the opposite
impression for most of the time, he wouldn't give me the mortgage
until I had already moved and started work. He expected me to live
out of motel room, leaving my NYC apartment unoccupied for my landlord
to have his way with it, then go back to NYC and move over a weekend.
I borrowed the money from my brother instead and never took the
mortgage from him.

And I wrote him a letter telling him how obnoxious he was and in what
ways he was obnoxious and that that was why I cancelled without giving
a second thought to the effort he had put into processing my mortgage
and that he was lucky I didn't write his boss too. (Although I figured
it would lower his average, that the boss probably kept track of.)

OTOH, there have been a couple people I wish I had written letters
like that to, and maybe even their bosses.

I too would be curious to read the letter or email the agent sent you.
There is such a big range in what various people think is outrageous.
etc.