View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 26th 08, 10:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
JR[_4_] JR[_4_] is offline
external usenet poster
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Default Sealant for plumbing fittings


I need to replace the syphon in a close-coupled toilet cistern, and it's
also got a very slow drip from the bolts holding the two parts together.

I've got a replacement close-coupled kit (with plate, rubber ring and bolts)
and a new syphon (well, one of those push-button flap-valve things).

Depending on whether the isolation valve still works (no sign of a handle on
it, so out with the spanner) I may have to replace that too.

I'd like to have some sealant on hand, just in case. I *had* some, which
has since disappeared - it was in a tube and you applied it like glue, it
was called something like "Plumber's Mate". Does anyone know where I can
get a small tube of it?

Also, if I have to replace the isolation valve, I might need to replace some
of the copper pipe. Are flexible fittings considered naff for these things,
or should I use compression fittings if I need to change the pipe?

Thanks very much