Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling Ken Sterling is offline

Default Strange gearmotor problem

THanks, gentlemen. There are three wires, red, white and green, which
I assumed was the ground. Now I think that it is a cap start and re
quires an external capacitor.

[BBOn 2008-02-24, RoyJ wrote:
As someone else mentioned: will it start in either direction? If so, bad
switch or bad starter winding. If there are only 2 wires and no cap,
suspect a stuck centrifugal starting switch. Pull off the wiring end,
jab at the switch.

Ignoramus9972 wrote:
Went to an estate sale of an incredible packrat. Saw some really
amazing crap like a lot of flat belt drive (like in old factories)
mills, grinders etc. All in bad shape from years of neglect and
sitting in an unheated barn.

I picked up a gearmotor, with a GE motor, 115v, weight maybe 10 lbs.

It would not start when connected to 115v. It hums and does not start
spinning. However, if I give the output low speed shaft a turn with
pliers, it starts spinning and keeps spinning.

The motor does not have a visible hump for a capacitor.

So, my thinking goes, either there is a cap inside the motor that is
bad, or , perhaps, the motor is of the kind that does not require a
capacitor and has only minimum torque at stall, and somehow there is
some stuckage in the motor bearings or gears. Possibly the weather is
cold and the gear lubricant is too thick.

any ideas, thanks, i

I'd take off the end plate of the motor and you'll probably find a
centrifugal starting switch in there.... clean it up and it'll
probably be fine.....
Ken.