Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default what metal/thickness to make 4 burner griddle for gas stove

The new Lodge pans are considerably thinner and lighter than the older
ones I got years ago. Plus they are not ground on the inside, you just
get the fine grain cast iron. My 10" Dutch Oven weighs 15 pounds with a
lid, the new pan is a flyweight by comparison.

I'm not going to use it for frying, I want the stovetop to oven
capabilities with the heat characteristics of cast iron.

Grant Erwin wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

He already has a double griddle, needs a BIG one for BIG appetites.

But the Lodge cookware is good stuff. I have some items, need to pick
up a pan for jambalaya. Price is right: a 10" cast iron pan is less
than $10 at my local.

That's true, Roy, but if you want a No. 8 cast iron skillet (10" dia.)
you should consider buying a vintage Griswold skillet. It is much lighter
than the Lodge pan, and probably will never crack if you put cold water on
a hot pan. It will appreciate in value.

I once saw a cast iron skillet lid in a junk pile. I asked if I could
have it
and the guy looked at me incredulously and said sure, if I wanted it. I
bead
blasted it and seasoned it and listed it on ebay (it was a Griswold No. 12
lid) and it sold for an insane $132 and the buyer was ecstatic to get such
a deal.

No, I never went back and told the junk pile guy how much his junk went
for.
That would be cruel and unusual punishment.

But no. 8 skillets go much more reasonably.

Grant