Old February 25th 08, 04:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is undercoat / sealer necessary for new plaster?

Rednadnerb wrote:
Hi Steven

The others are all right. I think the problem lies elsewhere. Is the
different texture between the old and the new plaster giving the
appearance of a different shade? in which case you will need to go
over it all with lining paper.
Or maybe the existing paint on the existing plaster is leaching
through the new and discolouring it, this would happen if it were
yellowed for example with nicotene.
Just some thoughts.

Really it takes a LOT of paint, and heavily pigmented paint, to get the
same color on new plaster as old.

One reason I use farrow an ball almost exclusively. Even THAT takes
three coats tho.