Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default KitchenAid dishwasher heating element

billccm wrote in :

Hello All:

I have a six year old KitchenAid Dishwasher KUDR01TJBL0, serial
FL5125226.

It is a very mediocre product, but that is a subject for another day.

What I am experiencing is flaking of black, crusty coatings from the
heating element. It seems to be cracking off and blasting itself
throughout the dishwasher.

I have researched this issue, and it seems that the 'round' elements
are the issue, and Whirlpool has an upgrade kit.

So, kind experts, is this all I need to fix my problem? Is it a job I
can tackle in a Saturday afternoon, or shall I call a service company?

Finally, do you recommend that I cut my loss on this very mediocre
product and invest in a new Bosch dishwasher?

Sincere thanks for your time in replying, and have a nice day,

Bill

The upgrade kit is available for 59.75 from RepairClinic.com.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSea...4552&PPStack=1

I just did mine a month ago or so. It's called an upgrade kit because it
comes with the heating element and a new electronic control. The EC and
new element are matched and must be replaced together.

Here are all your Whirlpool documents like parts diagrams:

http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/prod...iteCd=W HRCOM

Your electrical tech sheet should be behind the kickplate.

The heater element nuts are probably way in the back. Because of the
pumps and no clearance, you will probably have to pull the dishwasher
out to get at the element nuts from underneath. This means disconnecting
the water supply line. When you pull the kickplate off the connection is
probably right in front.

If you're lucky, it has just a flex hose. Look under the sink and see
what's connected to the shutoff. If it has soft copper tubing as a
supply, it's connected with a compression fitting. This means you have to
cut a few inches off the tubing and put a new compression ring.

You probably have to disconnect the power wire from the dishwasher to
slide it out. Should connect right behind the kickplate.

All sounds worse when written but at least you know what you might have
to do up front. If you're handy you can do it.

If you really want to finish the job, pull out the chopper and clean the
screen. It can be a bit tricky to get back in seated. Need to compress
the spring to slide it back in. Clean out all the water holes in the
various spray arms.

REMEMBER: First kill the power at the breaker. Turn off the water at the
valve under the sink.