Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default 1950s Chest Freezer Refurbish

on 2/24/2008 2:18 PM cybercat said the following:
Nate Nagel" wrote

There is no "seal." You remove the lid, remove the seal/handle/hardware
etc, take it to a body shop, and have them media blast it and refinish it
like a car body.

You *could* brush a coat of POR-15 on it which is one of only a few
products available that will actually seal rust, but then when you try to
wetsand it to prep for paint, you'll discover that it's also hard as nails
and doesn't sand well.

Good luck with your project, I agree with you, 40s/50s stuff is cool and
worth saving. I only wish the previous owners of my house had felt the
same way... (the old kitchen cabinets in the laundry room are much more to
my liking than the ones in the kitchen...)

Nate, I really like this idea. I will look into it. Transporting it to the
body shop might be a problem--it is huge, just the top, even, and heavy. We
are one of the few families in this city without a sport utility vehicle,
though few people here need them. Thanks.

Don't you have a friend with a pickup truck? If not, make a new friend
with a PU truck.
I have one. Where are you? :-)

--

Bill