Posted to alt.home.repair
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default 1950s Chest Freezer Refurbish

"cshenk" wrote

Perhaps you missed that it's a difference per cost that matters here.
Want to argue with a 12 year electrical bill history showing? I *know*
what I am talking about. She should save the unit as long as possible and
not create more landfill.

I will, but not for that reason. I am keeping it because I love the look and
feel
of it, and it works great! Our electric bill is low for people who use so
many
electronics, too. The best reason to keep it: it, and the 1949 GE
refrigerator
next to it has run without a hitch for ten years, after running in the same
spots
from at least 1969 to 1998 when we bought this house. The owner left me
all the documentation for all of the appliances that came with the house.
These
are in the utility in the finished basement. While the 1970s fridge in the
kitchen
died along with the 1980s dishwasher and the 1980s hood fan over the stove,
these beauties have hummed along smoothly for all these years. And, again,
when we replaced the kitchen fridge with a new Whirlpook with all the bells
and whistles, it broke after 3 years. I was so ****ed at paying over a grand
for a bunch of plastic, I won't have it fixed. I am the cook in the house,
and
if I want to go downstairs to get my stuff, I guess I can.