Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Air chisel spring and general use IR121

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:14:33 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Martin H. Eastburn" quickly quoth:

Ok - here goes.

Own one - like it - good gun.

I broke two springs in one day. The spring looks like it broke
from a shear impact.

You need to learn better gun control, son. Even if you switched to a
solid, screw-on chisel retainer, you'd end up splitting the end of the
housing if you let the chisel get away from you that often.

HINT: Don't push the chisel against the piston and pull the trigger
without something against the chisel tip.

I now have 4 new ones on the shelf and noticed a change in supplier.

What is the typical pressure used in these ?

"Huh?" he queried, with a dumb look.

I took the idea on the springs - that they might not be tempered or
treated post winding or post heat treatment.

If they weren't heat treated, they probably would be unwinding and
bending out of shape, not breaking cleanly.

---
Every moment is a golden one
for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
-- Henry Miller