Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Lead in solder

I have read all of the responses as of now to this thread and the one
contribution I will make is that you boys should not panic over these
ridiculus rules and regulations that the green police are trying to invoke,
because these are wars that have already been won. There have always been
Ralph Naders and the like, but they are their own worst enemy. Common sense
will always prevail and economics will rule supreme. Stupidity has it's just
rewards. Nader killed his own carreer and so has Al Gore. Patience is a
virtue. Just look what these guys do, they take undeniable observations and
distort the analyisis. Fortunately, only the uninformed buy in. As an
example, there are now a new class of companies that have been born just to
help firms recover from ISO 9000 and all the other "Do it anyway, even if it
doesn't add value" Standards.
Steve

wrote in message
I thought the people on this group would be interested int his
article:

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...21_004346.html

It's about "green" lead-free solder has caused problems. It think the
money quote is this one:

"And if you think this problem is minor, I have been told that just
the cost of changing to lead-free solder stands right now at $280
BILLION and climbing. That cost is borne by all of us."

It even has some metal content...