Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Buying thread cutting taps dies and best type of tool steel to use????

The really cheap Chiwanese black high carbon taps are VERY
brittle and easy to break. Smearing Tn on them doesn't make them
any better. They work and, as someone else pointed out , you can
shatter out the broken stuff some times. These are the least
expensive. Only you can judge whether they are a good value.

I would suggest a set that has the taps and dies for everyday
stuff. I have one decent set that has tapered taps in 1/4 , 5/16,
3/8, 7/16, and 1/2 both coarse and fine. A set will have a tap
handle and die driver. As you need smaller taps than 1/4", buy
them 2 or more at a time as they break easily. You may need a
smaller tap handle. You will probably not need dies in other
sizes. As you buy individual taps, buy quality. Don't throw out
broken taps, they can make poor man's bottoming taps.

Heat is a major factor in both taps and dies. Don't plan on being
able to re sharpen a tap or die. Make sure you know about turning
a tap backwards to break the chip free before you break the tap.
Your hand needs to be robot-like when driving a tap, keeping all
the pressures in line with the tap direction, twisting to one
side or the other breaks taps.

If you have a scrap piece of aluminum or brass about a quarter
inch thick, it would make an excellent learning tool. They are
both so soft, you hopefully won't break a tap and you can get a
feel for what you are doing. You can probably drive the tap
without ever having to turn the tap backwards, but you should
certainly get in the habit. Steel will not give you that luxury
when hand tapping.

There are exotic names and types, but there are plenty of good
brand names that make serviceable stuff like: Greenlee, Magnum,
Hanson, Craftsman, and many others.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
Can anyone advise about what type of taps to get, pros cons of
types
of tool steel in different materials etc.

I see many different taps, cheap chinese to top name brand, many
different prices. I know people say buy top of the range name
brand as
you get what you pay for. But as a poor hobbiest my budget does
not
strech to that.

I wonder what would be regarded as best all round material for a
tap
and die set?

I have seen tungsten, hss (in various Cobalt%), carbon steel,
tin
coated, and others.

I wonder what is best for taps and dies.

Is it more important to have a toolsteel that holds a very sharp
edge,
is very hard, or is very tough. Taps cut very slow so heating is
not a
problem. Are there any tests to see what the quality is of the
taps I
buy is?.

What is most important thing to consider when buying a tap?

Does anyone have any references to books or web pages on the
subject?

How do I know when my tap of die has become blunt and how can it
be
sharpened?

I really know nothing about tapping other than it is important
drill the right size hole, use plenty of cutting oil or tallow,
and to
make sure the tap is centered and parallel in the hole.

I am initially wanting to tap mild steel but would be interested
in
tips on tapping in all metals (stainless, high tensile, brass,
aluminum, etc..).