Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Lead in solder

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:11:26 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor
qualm, quickly quoth:

I thought the people on this group would be interested int his
article:

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...21_004346.html

It's about "green" lead-free solder has caused problems. It think the
money quote is this one:

"And if you think this problem is minor, I have been told that just
the cost of changing to lead-free solder stands right now at $280
BILLION and climbing. That cost is borne by all of us."

It even has some metal content...

I'd like to know where he came up with that $280B figure.

Yeah, "green" can be mighty costly, and sometimes uselessly so. (The
Kyoto Protocol is one of those, with an estimated 0.07 degree C
difference if every country complies.)

---
Every moment is a golden one
for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
-- Henry Miller