Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default What is it? CCXX

from a windmill manufacturer website, exploded view. (just one version of a
windmill motor, but i think most of them are nowadays covered and covered in
oil.)

http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/Imag...g_gearbox2.jpg

i tried to find a pic of the head assembled but couldn't, maybe someone else
can.
http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/Index.asp

b.w.

"Andrew Erickson" wrote in message

I think you're correct except for the application. I suspect it's the
gear head for an old time water pumping wind mill.

That could very well be; it sounds a bit more likely than my guess.
Perhaps the strange right-angle box is some sort of an automatic shutoff
to stop the pump when the tank is filled. (Maybe it's not used with a
windmill, but wtih a gasoline engine or electric motor. Weren't most
windmill systems just a simple crank on the windmill shaft without any
gearing at all? Something like this would be a bit tricky to rotate to
get the windmill facing the wind, unless perhaps the pump rod also
rotated.)

I still like the elevator door opener idea, though; it has a certain je
ne sais quois that a pump jack lacks.

--
Andrew Erickson