Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Clausing 5904

Darkstar wrote:
Hi All
Just fired up a 5904 I bought last week and I am having trouble with the
variable speed. At speeds below about 1300 rpm, the speed control slowly
rotates until its going as slow as it can. Over 1300, it works great.
Anybody had this problem or know of a fix. Thanks
Darkstar

Usually. in my experience, air in the system caused a 'dead zone' or
play in that one would turn the speed dial a quarter turn or so before
the speed actually changed. The previous owner had put a needle valve
in the line at the output of the master cylinder allowing one to 'pump
up' the speed by moving the speed adjuster as far as it would go,
closing the needle valve, then retracting the speed dial, open the
valve, move the speed dial again, etc, sort of like pumping the brakes
on an old car. When the speed creeps back down its a pretty good sign
that the O rings in the master cylinder are shot, they are not hard to
replace. The afore mentioned needle valve would keep my 5904 at a
constant speed.
Hydraulic jack oil, from the auto parts store, in the pointy spouted
bottle was what I used to use in mine.

These are nice lathes but their downfall is the variable speed
mechanism, if its not leaky or air filled hydraulics its the plastic
sleeve bushings in the variable speed pulley halves. The clutch detent
can be problematic also. I finally tore all that stuff out and direct
belted a motor to the spindle, powered by a variable speed drive. It's
like a new machine and I spend more time turning parts and a whole lot
less time dicking around with drive mechanicals.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.