Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mechanical Magic Mechanical Magic is offline

Default making u-channel

I'm stunned, somebody actually read and responded, thank you.

If you decide to build a single purpose die set, of any material.

A depression to position the pre-cut blank is required.
Ejector pins/holes should be drilled to kick out the part.

And, yes, this I'm thinking of a die that could be put on a firm table
and whacked with a dead blow hammer a few times.

Again, QUANTITY???
Dave

On Feb 21, 5:48 pm, MatthewK wrote:
* Mechanical Magic wrote:

On Feb 21, 10:21 am, Winston wrote:
MatthewK wrote:
I need some u-channel that is an odd size. I want the stock to be about
1/16 inch thick or less and the dimensions would be: 1/8" x 3/8" x 12"

Can I make this myself without the use of a brake while still having
right-angles? Can I have sheetmetal worker fabricate this cheaply?

What material? What tolerance? How many?

--Winston

If you are trying to build a channel with 1/8" long legs, and 3/8"
outside dimension, 12" long you may have a problem. The legs are too
short for a press brake. A box and pan brake will do the job, but may
need a block to act as a female form inside the channel.

Thanks for the lead.

Tolerance is a big issue.

For this project tolerance is not a huge factor. +-.015 or maybe more.

If I needed to make at least 5, with +-.010", I'd make a die set from
Ironwood. Cheaper than Aluminum, can be worked with wood tools. An
Ironwood die set shaould last for a hundred parts or more.

matthew
ohio