Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low clearance drilling

"Proch" wrote in message
Yes, this is exactly what I'm dealing with. A load bearing beam in my
cellar, with 2x8s in top of it, and a floor on top of that. I'm trying to
get up the wall to run all my wires between my plasma, new outlet and
basement. I want the hole to be big enough to run a VGA connector
through, as my grand scheme involves being able to view my server on the
tv. Of course, if I drop the requirement for the VGA, I can use my really
long 1" drill bit and maybe fit my drill into the hole that I created for
the outlet and drill downward.

Instead of drilling one large hole, I would drill 2 or 3 smaller holes
(Maybe 5/8" or 3/4") close together and drill them out to make a slot. I
encounter this problem from time to time. If you can get a good idea where
the wall is from below, You can set the drill bit a little further back and
drill at an angle. When the bit finally pentrates at the other end it
should be inside of the wall cavity. I normally use a self feeding nail
eating auger bit at low speed.

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
I had a job to drill holes for cables at the end of 2x8 joists, which
gives 7 1/4" clearance. Since the drill bits are almost that long it
doesn't leave much room to work with. Most add-on adapters and flexible
shafts need room for the gear case or bending the shaft plus the chuck,
you will probably have room for only a 2" long drill bit, not good to get
all the way up. I had a Bosch right angle drill, real compact, the chuck
was buried in the gear case and combined was only about 2" tall. I used a
short spade drill bit (either buy a set of short bits or cut one down) to
get started and then switched to a full length bit to finish. Awkward to
work with because as the right angle drill bears down your fingers start
contacting the points of nails that protrude through the floor, but it got
the job done.

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Proch wrote:
I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a
2x4, yet there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would
drill due to a beam. What are my options other than to purchase a
right angle drill? I'm not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need
from the right angle drills that I see at the local stores.

Just cut out the beam! :-)

No, seriously,... You should still be able to do it if the beam is
directly under the spot. A drill with a one inch bit started at the
side of the 2x4 closest to you will come out of a 2x4 roughly in the
middle when it exits the wood. Unless you have a 2 or 3 inch thick
floor, you should be able to do it easily.

If for some reason this just won't work, then get a flexible shaft for
your drill and use that with a very short bit. Don't let the bit come
out of the flex shaft and you will be fine.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.