Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Low clearance drilling

Proch wrote:
I need to drill a 1" hole in the floor from the cellar up through a 2x4, yet
there is only about 8" of clearance at the spot where I would drill due to a
beam. What are my options other than to purchase a right angle drill? I'm
not even sure if I'll get the clearance I need from the right angle drills
that I see at the local stores.

Just cut out the beam! :-)

No, seriously,... You should still be able to do it if the beam
is directly under the spot. A drill with a one inch bit started
at the side of the 2x4 closest to you will come out of a 2x4
roughly in the middle when it exits the wood. Unless you have a
2 or 3 inch thick floor, you should be able to do it easily.

If for some reason this just won't work, then get a flexible
shaft for your drill and use that with a very short bit. Don't
let the bit come out of the flex shaft and you will be fine.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.