Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default OT Fuel Sender ?'s

It's simply a matter of extended empty angle VS full tank angle of the
float rod. If the sender and gauge are matched, You just adjust/modify
the float length to either match the original(Which may or may not be
correct...). Better to eyeball the installed height of the sender base
to the full level of the fuel, and go from there. The object is to have
the gauge read accurately towards empty. If you can't configure it both
ways for some reason, it's no biggy if it stays on full for 1/4 tank,
and then accurately reads down to empty from there. Being sold by Napa,
I suspect the gauge and sender are not matched from your description. If
so, tweaking the dimensions won't help.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

ED wrote:

Burning project of the moment is a dead fuel gauge sys on the ol'
farm tractor. 70's vintage IHC lots of german made cast iron for
those appreciating that type of stuff.. Anyhow I condemened the
origional components and with a Napa gauge and sending unit kit
I can get it to work ok but I get a higher reading on the gauge then
is indicated..IOW the gauge reads 1/2 full when it should read empty.

Any tricks to get around this that anyone like to share? Some sort
of E magic or is it a case of throw away and try again.. I did do
some neat metalworking to replicate the OEM sender....hate to waste
that.. ED

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"