Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
_[_2_] _[_2_] is offline

Default Buying thread cutting taps dies and best type of tool steel to use????

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:29:16 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Can anyone advise about what type of taps to get, pros cons of types
of tool steel in different materials etc.

I see many different taps, cheap chinese to top name brand, many
different prices. I know people say buy top of the range name brand as
you get what you pay for. But as a poor hobbiest my budget does not
strech to that.

I wonder what would be regarded as best all round material for a tap
and die set?

I have seen tungsten, hss (in various Cobalt%), carbon steel, tin
coated, and others.

I wonder what is best for taps and dies.

Is it more important to have a toolsteel that holds a very sharp edge,
is very hard, or is very tough. Taps cut very slow so heating is not a
problem. Are there any tests to see what the quality is of the taps I
buy is?.

What is most important thing to consider when buying a tap?

Does anyone have any references to books or web pages on the subject?

How do I know when my tap of die has become blunt and how can it be
sharpened?

I really know nothing about tapping other than it is important to
drill the right size hole, use plenty of cutting oil or tallow, and to
make sure the tap is centered and parallel in the hole.

I am initially wanting to tap mild steel but would be interested in
tips on tapping in all metals (stainless, high tensile, brass,
aluminum, etc..).

If you think you may be likely to break taps the first few times, and that
you will break them in expensive or hard-to-find or much-time-to-make
parts, get carbon-steel taps. When you do break them, you can heat the
part and soften the tap so you can drill it out.

Worked for me....