Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_4_] SteveB[_4_] is offline

Default Bull**** by the numbers

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:00:26 -0800, SteveB wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:06:07 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:56:18 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Jim Insolo" wrote in message
It maybe just a cultural mis-step, with Toyota top dogs in Japan
giving the
OK to the ad smug in the knowledge that NASCAR fans are ignorant
rednecks who would fall for anything. On the other hand, the
possibility of a big crate falling into your truck is about the same
as needing 4 wheel drive going to and from Albertsons every day.

I guess some rednecks are stooping to driving Toyotas today. But the
ones I have seen are wannabe rednecks driving wannabe trucks. But
then, with the high price tag mentality, they think for some reason
the truck is better than others.

BTW, have you tried getting into the Albertson's store in Cedar City,
Utah through the snow drifts? 4wd works.

Steve

Just out of curiosity, what is a "wannabe redneck"?

(snip)

I don't know about Steve, but I'd put it down as someone who lives a
suburban life, but has some peculiar notions about the ease and joy of
living in the country so they try to imitate the external signs of a
country boy (or girl) without really having a clue of what is actually
involved. Your average country life can be quite joyous, but it's only
easy if you're filthy rich.

So, here some of the signs that I look for:

* Dressed like a cowboy going to a dance, but:
* They do it every day, to go to the office; * they wouldn't know
which end of a horse to put a halter on, much
less how to do so without injury to themselves or the horse;
* they think the question "do you prefer a snaffle or a curb?" is
either about car racing or bizarre sexual practices.
* They drive a five year old "truck" which has no scratches on the bed.
* They have a big shiny 4WD rig that has never left dry pavement. *
They have ****kicker boots which have never, ever, touched _anything_
that came out of a horse.

(I'd put in a dig about always voting republican because Regan was a
real cowboy, but I'll refrain in no small part because fools come in
all political stripes).

I suppose if there were movies about heroic welders ("Return to
Brokeback Shipyard"?) you'd see people wearing pristine welding caps,
boots and shirts...

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Boy, you hit it on the head. Only thing I'd add is that they would be
wearing creased ironed starched Levis, and similarly treated Wrangler
shirts. Plaid, pink, puce, or mauve, of course.

Steve

At one point they were wearing mechanically aged (stone washed) Levis. I
think you're still not ineffably cool if your pants don't come from the
store ripped up.

--
Tim Wescott

AND at $80 a pair! Just trying welding with frayed

Hmmmmmmmm.

I smell something burning ..................

OH, ****! IT'S ME!

slap, slap, slap, dance, dance, dance, pat, pat, pat ..................

You never see a professional welder with frayed jeans. At least not after
the first morning break. Them boys who make the good money may wear a
cowboy belt, boots, and cowboy hat until they fall apart, but their Levis
and shirts are always pretty new. Those pretty little welding hats, too.

Steve