Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Leaky valve problem

nick hull wrote:

I was thinking of putting a thin sheet of plastic on the gate, but if it
washed off when opened it might jam something. Maybe just a thin bead
of silicone on the upstream side? It's a water gravity system with only
5' of water head so pressure is extremely low.

Jim Chandler wrote:

If you have the valve out of the system, and apparently you do, open the
gate fully and check the seat under the gate for corrosion or dirt that
keeps the gate from going completely closed. That may eliminate the
problem. If that's not it perhaps placing a thin bead of silicone under
the gate and allowing it to cure before closing the gate will solve the

Rather than RTV silicone (caulk), I'd suggest either silicone grease (I
prefer the high-vacuum type - it's pure and pretty stiff - some of the
automotive variety I've met is thinner) or beeswax (buy a toilet seal
ring) on the sealing surface.