Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_4_] SteveB[_4_] is offline

Default Bull**** by the numbers

wrote in message
On Feb 19, 2:13 pm, Tim Wescott wrote:

I don't know about Steve, but I'd put it down as someone who lives a
suburban life, but has some peculiar notions about the ease and joy of
living in the country so they try to imitate the external signs of a
country boy (or girl) without really having a clue of what is actually
involved. Your average country life can be quite joyous, but it's only
easy if you're filthy rich.

I don't think it's that so much as the desire to be seen as a MAN.
Too many guys are in dorky office jobs and envy the guy who can use a
chainsaw or other dangerous stuff, or even wrenches and hammers. Just
look at the flyers from the hardware and tool shops: full of stuff
aimed right at those office guys. Not much of it is really useful to
the real outdoorsman or mechanic, but it sure looks good in the garage
or yard. Impresses the other dorky guys in the neighborhood. Until
the user cuts off a hand or something. Or gets his 4x4 stuck in a
tiny puddle. Or rolls it into the ditch, a result of thinking that
having 4WD makes him immune to the black ice.
Lots of guys have grown up in homes where there was no chance
of fooling with mechanical stuff, and they miss it. I made sure my son
had access to lots of tools, power tools of his own when he was only
10 or so, things like a small drill press and scroll saw. Now he is
admired for his abilities, while his friends are all going to college
to try to learn something.

Dan

I think that early access to reality problem solving kickstarts something in
the brain. That early start gives them a leg up that the others never catch
up on. Just like a 20 year old will never catch up to the age of a 40 year
old.

Steve