Posted to rec.woodworking
Sac Dave Sac Dave is offline

Default Fast drying polyurethane??

"BD" wrote in message
I am making some book shelves out of red oak and I have some minwax
fast-drying polyurethane. It dries in about 3 hrs. it has the consistence
of water. My question is will I get a better finish if I use the old
fashion stuff. When I used this earlier it took several coats to get a
deep finish.

thanx
bill

For what it's worth I just used Minwax water based Polycrylic on a computer
work station . Really easy, can recoat every 2 hours. Came out pretty nice.
Then I poured it straight in a spray gun ( cup gun) to see how that would
do. Didn't even thin it down sprayed like a dream. The water based finishes
have come a long way. I did get better results spraying, brushing or
spraying it seems a lot easier to use than oil base. The stuff is
relatively cheap so you do some test on your own.