Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Belt sander: Smoke escape!

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:00:52 -0500, Gerald Miller
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:10:13 -0800 (PST), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi Roy and others,

Thanks for the replies, but I had already checked HF's manual. I
mentioned the NO cap-can as this is not a cap start motor. The switch
HF shows is a simple two wire thing that I could easily manage to
fudge around.

I have uploaded the pic to the drop box and you can see the switch has
4 connectors to integrate the coil thing into the circuit.

The main lead at the bottom is the power lead coming in and the Blue,
Brown, Black and Ground lead goes to the motor.

The top two terminals on the switch (Red and Black) are bolted to the
switch body so I assume they are carrying big current, the bottom two
(White and Black) are riveted.

Unless I can get some other information I will assume that the Black/
Black make contact and the White/Red but can't be sure as the switch
is fried totally.

Dave

What you have there is a current activated relay which energizes the
start winding on turn-on, then, once the motor is turning, the run
winding current decreases to the point where the solenoid releases,
disconnecting the start winding; this relay appears to be combined
with the on/off switch. These relays are commonly found on sealed unit
refrigeration compressors where it is not convenient to use a
mechanically actuated start switch.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

You just might get away with separate components, go see your
appliance parts shop.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada