Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Order in the shop!

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:28:19 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I am moving part of my "stuff" to a new room I built. I think I'll just
take in the inside repair stuff, fasteners, power tools, and things not
related to automotive or welding, which will stay in the garage. A lot of
fasteners, and a lot of them in the hang up plastic containers they come in.

For those, I can put rows of nails and just hang them.

I have three of those plastic drawer things to organize my nuts and bolts
and screws. Yeah, right. I need to sit for about a whole day and go
through everything just to reset it to zero, and get things straightened
out.

I went to the Borg, and they want $20+ per each of those plastic cabinets
with the drawers. And they don't have any really big ones much bigger than
16 x 18 or so. I kind of like them, as one can see what's in them through
the clear plastic, but they always end up jumbled. I have some of those
that have a cleat and hang on the wall, but they always end up filled with
sand and dust as they are open on the top. They're okay for the welding
hardware and rough stuff, but hard to find anything small like a machine
bolt or a particular screw.

I have been thinking of making some bins, but then again, there's the same
problem of them getting dirt and stuff in them over time, and it's hard to
see what's in there once the second layer of STUFF is started.

Anyone have any ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg like those spendy
drawer organizers sold at suppliers? $20 for plastic is bad enough, but the
amounts they want for some of these is more than I've paid for a used car.

Maybe it's time to do the old baby jar thing, but my wrists aren't the best.

Ideas appreciated.

Steve

Put out a call for the old IBM punch card cabinets. Usually 20
drawers each, each drawer can be removed individually , rolller
glides, heavy duty, and are easily subdivided.

They are about the size of regular filing cabinets, but the drawers
are much shallower. Make GREAT tool and parts cabinets

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner