Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Ancillary roofing considerations

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I admit to not taking notes when this topic was discussed recently, but
I'm planning to have a new roof put on this year.

I recall that others had expected the roofers to do some things that,
apparently, roofers don't do unless specifically addressed and included
in the contract - yet they are things that ought to be done concurrently
by someone, anyway. What were those things? (The roof is a simple,
low-pitch gable.)

Proper drip edges into the gutters, so the roofing doesn't have to stick way
out
over the gutters, making cleaning the gutters a pain.

Check. Are you insinuating that some roofers would remove the old drip
edges, and not replace them but extend the shingles out too far instead?

It seems that the standard these days requires a significant overhang if there
is not an appropriate drip edge. On my re-roof, I specified that the gutters
must be easily cleanable on the contract. When they started to put a 1 1/2"
overhang on my 3x4 cedar gutters, I pointes out that I could barely get a finger
into the gutter to claen them. They had to remove the initial shingles and add a
custom drip edge to make them properly cleanable.

One of those gutter cleaning "robots" would probably not work with the big
overhang.