Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

wrote in message
to you.

no when a business buys something for resale theres no sales tax,

Not true. I had a business in PA and when I bought material to install it, I
had to pay the tax. I did not have to charge the customer tax on either the
merchandise or my labor.

In my other business, I was a reseller and charged the tax I would then
file a tax exemption and not pay to my supplier, but I had to collect and
forward the tax to the state.

If you look at the tax exemption form, certain items are exempt, such as
material used in manufacturing. Office supplies are taxable, as are
computers, etc. If sales tax is not due, use tax is. Businesses are
audited on a regular basis. As a consumer, you may avoid the tax on mail
order buys, but a business will be caught faster than the home consumer.

PA Form 1220 spells out the exemptions. Manufacturing, mining, farming,
shipbuilding, and specificaly points out no exemption for property used in
contructing, repairing, remodeling.

in pennsylvania theres no tax on clothes, cold food no tax, hot food
taxable......

The differentiantion is not hot or cold, it is ingredient versus prepared
foods, be they hot or cold. That cold sandwich is still taxable.