Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Coaxial cable without a connector

bz wrote:

snip

Here is a test you can do with a VCR and two TVs:

Make a 'bad hookup' from the VCR to a TV in one room. Play back a tape on
the VCR [putting a signal onto channel 2 or 3]

Go to another room with a TV with rabbit ears and see if you can see any
signs of the VCR's signals 'over the air'.

I have seen signals from VCR's because people do not realize they are
broadcasting.

VCR modulators make fairly good transmitters. I once lived a few months
in temporary housing, with little more than a TV and a couch for
amenities. My neighbor hooked up her VCR to the TV by feeding the
modulator output to the 300 ohm TV antenna input through a balun.

So far, so good, except she left the rabbit ears connected to the same
300 ohm terminals (in parallel with the VCR output). This was pre-cable
era in the area...early 80's.

I was able to get an acceptable signal from her VCR in the next
apartment--through the wall and several meters away--by simply tuning my
set (rabbit ears, again) to channel 3.

She had a fairly good porn collection. G

jak