Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default Coaxial cable without a connector

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in
:

wrote in message
On Feb 9, 1:33 pm, "gonzo" wrote:
It's just a small signal to your TV, no high voltages or currents
present. Having said that, couldn't you buy a connector and fit it
yourself? The signal may be poor or intermittant, the outer shielding
should be connected also.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Gonzo (and Baron). Yes, I will try to find a connector which
I can install. My main concern was whether I could use that cable for
a while BEFORE I got around to getting a new connector for it.

Sure Why not. I think the risk for interference that others were talking
about is minimal.

What you are doing is similar to the guy that goes out on new years eve
and fires his gun in the air to celebrate. He has no way to know where it
will come down. People die every year because of such things.

I have a tv that is hooked up that way right now, simply
because I lost the connector and the tv is in my workshop.

You have no way to know what it might interfere with.

It doesn't get
used too much so I really don't care if the picture is a bit snowy on
some channels.

It does NOT matter if the set is turned on or not. It only matters if
there are signals on the cable!

If I were you I'd get a connector just to make sure I had a good
picture.

One of the cable TV signals might interfere with vital communications,
such as with fire, police or aircraft communications or navigation.

Now that you KNOW that you may be radiating signals that could interfere
with communications, you have an obligation to cease.

Deliberate interference with radio communications is a crime.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap