Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Hawkins Jim Hawkins is offline

Default UK Moving coil meter repairer ?

"N Cook" wrote in message
Jim Hawkins wrote in message
The meter on my AVO VCM has gone open-circuit.
The movement is undamaged, swinging freely as it's
now undamped.
Is there a repairer in the UK anywhere ?

Jim Hawkins

These people
http://www.inmar.co.uk/about.htm
15 years ago when they traded as
Test Instrument Services
at the same address.
Contact them and please report back whether they still do or do not.

Emailed Inmar, but no reply so far.
Found a company (Glanford Electronics Ltd.), who offered to have a go,
but it didn't sound very hopeful. I've sent it to them, but still awaiting
the outcome.
But I've since found another company (Crowthorne Tubes Ltd) who
offer a replacement moving-coil movement which can be installed in
the original Avo meter case, and using the same dial. Their trick is
to use a 1mA movement (much more robust than the 30 microamp
original Avo one) and feed it with a suitable opamp! Neat!

Jim Hawkins