Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2 Electrical Questions: Loops in Service Panel, Slack at Boxes

wrote in message
Folks:

More a style question than a code question.

Do you feel it is preferable to pull the service conductors into the
panel
and run them right to the lugs, or cut them long and form them into
a loop?

The loops add a little more flexibility, and give you some extra wire
if somewhere down the road the end should corrode or burn, but at
the same time, they take up a lot of space in the box, especially if
you're using larger gauges.

What does everybody think?

I like the loops, but sometimes the larger wires are difficult to curl.
They are also good for expansion and contraction so there is no strain on
the lugs.

Another question: when trimming boxes, I tend to measure 8" or
so along the cable jacket, then staple it at that point on the cable,
but closer to the box, leaving a standing loop. I feel this helps
relieve potential strains, and allows the cable to be pulled into the
box at some future time if more wire is needed, or the box needs
to be moved slightly. Does anybody else do this? What do you
think of this practice?

I tend to leave some slack along the line in case the customer decides to
move an outlet or switch unfortunately the price of copper keeps me from
leaving big loops, but I have heard of one contractor in my area that does
it.