Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fluke 79 acting up

Jakthehammer wrote:

Correctly, the zener (or an IC reference circuit) are part of the A/D
circuit. You cannot design a complete A/D without Voltage Referencing.

Jack....

The reference may also be a separate IC. I've used a lot of them over
the years. Our telemetry receivers used a 10.000 volt reference in
multiple systems, so we used an external reference with a buffer so it
could be trimmed to exactly 10.000 volts.

A low voltage zener isn't suitable for a reference in a meter. The
knee is too soft, and they drift with temperature changes. If all you
want is +/- 10% tolerance it would be ok, but that level was obsolete by
WW-I.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell