Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Repairing LCD TV - Westinghouse LTV-32W3

"T" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
In article ,
T wrote:

It's an LCD, which means it's more than likely a low voltage device.
Doesn't take much more than 12V tops to run them.

And 800V (or so) running the lamps so that you can see the picture on
the 12V screen...before you go getting all comfortable poking around in
there.

Is it really 800V? If so what does my laptop use to step the voltage up
to that level?

There are low voltage fluorescents out there. I know, I have one in my
toolkit and it runs on 4.5V.

Fluorescents are discharge lamps, the smallest in the world require
somewhere around 50V to draw an arc through the low pressure argon/mercury
fill. Cold cathode lamps used in LCD monitors require a higher voltage,
usually 500-1500V run with a 2-4KV ignition pulse. Any fluorescent
application with a low voltage power source uses an electronic inverter to
provide the required voltage and regulate lamp power.